1. I have an internationally recognised certificate in English. Do I have to pass the compulsory course, Intermediate General English (VCJ/AIII1,2)?

    Generally, students can apply for recognition of the compulsory course (i.e. VCJ/AIII1,2, or VCJ/IA1,2, depending on the study programme) if they can prove that their English is at a level required by the compulsory course or higher. They can prove it with a valid certificate of an internationally recognised exam on the List of Standardised Language Exams of the second level set up by the Czech Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports (see here).

    If your exam is on the list, you should submit the Application Form and the certificate of an exam to the Head of KCJ. The Head of KCJ will accept your request and transfer it together with a copy of the certificate to the Study Department.

  2. Can I apply for recognition of Intermediate General German (VCJ/NIII1,2) if I have an internationally recognised certificate in German?

    Certainly. If it is on the List of Standardised Language Exams (second level) set up by the Czech Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports, then you can ask for recognition of the course. The rules are the same as for English (see the relevant FAQ).

  3. What’s the difference between Intermediate Academic English (VCJ/AIV1,2) and Intermediate General English (VCJ/AIII1,2)?

    Intermediate General English focuses on common topics, such as education, life style, relationships, housing, films, and so on, and on grammar such as modal verbs, conditionals, relative clauses, indirect speech, and so on. All four basic language skills are covered equally, i.e. comprehensive reading, listening, speaking and writing (e.g. describing a house, writing a formal letter). Intermediate Academic English focuses on the most needed skills for a student, i.e. comprehensive reading of science texts, various reading techniques, writing skills (e.g. principles for writing essays, describing graphs, writing resumes) and the study skills. Particular attention is paid to working with a dictionary and building vocabulary. The course does not deal with grammar, so a good knowledge is expected, nor does it deal with listening.

  4. What’s the difference between the “Entrance Test” and “B1 English Exam”?

    The “Entrance Test” is a brief testing to check your level of English when you begin studying at the Faculty of Science. All first year students are required to take it on the day of enrolment. It has an informative value for the students. Its results will tell you what you should do. If you have poor results, you should improve your English soon to be able to complete the compulsory language course without problems. If you have good results, you can take an English course as required. If you have excellent results, you can take the “B1 English Exam”.

    The “B1 English Exam” is a longer examination to assess whether your English level is at least such as required by the compulsory language courses (i.e. AIII1,2 or IA1,2). If you successfully pass the exam, you will get credit for your compulsory course and you may enrol in a higher level English course of your choice.

    The minimum level of English for undergraduates (students of bachelor’s programmes) is B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. By the way, this is the general level expected of students who have successfully completed a secondary school programme of English.

  5. When does the “B1 English Exam” take place, what does it include and how can I register to take it?

    The “B1 English Exam” takes place about two weeks after the beginning of the winter semester. You can’t just “try it”. Only those who have proven excellent English are allowed to take it. This means those with an excellent result on the “Entrance Test”. The students’ names are reported to the Head of KCJ and their identities are checked prior to the testing.

    As to its contents, the “B1 English Exam” is similar to the internationally valid PET (Preliminary English Test). For two sample tests, see B1 English Exam Sample Tests including keys .

  6. Do I have to take a foreign language course and when should I take it?

    Well, it depends on what you study. Check your study programme (in STAG) and see whether you have a compulsory language course there. If so, note the recommended year when you should take it.

    The purpose of KCJ is to provide language courses that will help you to acquire necessary language skills in accordance with your study programme, and to offer you language courses what will help you in your careers.

  7. Which other courses should I take if I want to best use your offered language curriculum? 

    It depends on your language skills and your preferences. If you are wishing to improve your grammar or communication skills as to general English, you can take English Grammar courses or English Conversation courses.